Welcome to the Esol NPGHS Blog



Thursday, June 14, 2012

Theme Essay Matilda

In my essay I am going to look at Matilda by Roald Dahl. I am going to describe an important theme that the writer is trying to get the reader to think about and I am also going to explain why I think this theme is important. 'Matilda' is an excellent example of Roald Dahl's theme of children conspiring against adults because she is using her cunning to get revenge on her parents and Miss Trunchbull. For example when Matilda glued her dad's hat to his head because he was dishonest. This shows us that Matilda's cunning when she says "Did your head become bigger, daddy?". Another example is when the parrot Matilda borrowed from her friend, Fred, says "Dead mans dinner, dead mans dinner" to scare the Wormwood family, and Matilda tries to scare them even more by saying "It's a ghost". Roald Dahl uses this theme again when Matilda is writing with the chalk using her powers, "Agatha, this is Magnus. Agatha, give my Jenny back her house. Give Jenny her money, then go away from her or I will come and get you! I will come and get you, like you got me. I'm watching you, Agatha," she wrote. This theme children conspiring against adults is important because it makes the reader feel powerful and inspired and the reader takes sides with Matilda. Both of these reasons make you want to read more. Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment