Welcome to the Esol NPGHS Blog



Monday, November 21, 2016

My Migration Story.


My name is Gurleen. I am from a beautiful country called India, it is the second largest country in the world. My family and I migrated to New Zealand in 2013.
My Dad, Mum, my brother and I moved to New Zealand to have a better life, safe environment, good education, and a good job. It was hard not to miss your country because here in NZ its a totally different world. I miss my family and friends, talking in my language, and especially street food. Street food that I missed was Pao Bhaji  and Panipuri. Panipuri is like a soft ball made out of flour so you make a whole in them and you put potatoes, some kind of sauce and then you dip it in with some spicy water and the you put the whole thing in your mouth and then eat it.
                                                                                                                       



 Pao Bhaji is a dish Pao is a bun  and they cut the bun in half and toast with butter and Bhaji is a kind of like a curry so you eat it together.






New Zealand has taught me many things like having patience, don't judge, be brave, be yourself and be proud of who are and what your nationality is. Don't let anyone change you. The time that I got out of the plane, it was really nice because there was smiles, happiness, and nice people. Then the next thing was NO ENGLISH OR LITTLE ENGLISH. I knew how to speak English but the slang was hard to get. Meanwhile I saw my Uncle and Aunt and we hugged them and that kind of stuff. Then their car was small and they had to take your luggage so we had to sit outside the airport and it was cold and I was wearing thin clothes so it was really cold for me but that was a good experience.

The first day of my school was okay. A little English helped me to get through the day. I had no friends for a few days but it was okay I think but after I made many.  The time passed by and now I can speak to anyone in English and I have many friends now. So my advice is to have patience, be brave and don't change yourself.
-Gurleen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment