Welcome to the Esol NPGHS Blog



Monday, November 21, 2016

My Migration Story

This story is about myself migrating to New Zealand. 2013, our family moved from South Korea to New Zealand. I was only 10 years old (NZ age) or 11 years old (Korean age) when I came to New Zealand. The reasons why we came to New Zealand were to get better education and have a less busy life because I had to go to lots of academies and study more. I also had lots of positive thoughts about NZ like, there's less studying, nice people and I also thought that I can learn to be brave. That's what my thoughts about NZ were.
 
But not everything was easy. When I first went to school. It was very hard to understand that they were talking and it was frustrating. I also wanted to go back to Korea so that I did not get stressed about learning other language and feel like I'm left out. Fortunately, I met some friends that helped me a lot when I first came to NZ and couldn't speak English well. It is still hard to speak English as well as the other people and I still get stressed about my tests/exams and English subjects. I feel little bad when I get not many good test results but I try not to think about it.
 
When I hear someone saying that my stress is not even a big deal, I always tell them that it doesn't mean that I should not get stressed just because other people do harder stuff. In  addition, I don't like studying or doing what people tell me to do but I thought that the blending to other people is the key to making friends. So I always remember to understand other people when I feel bad. My advice about migrating to a new country is to work hard, understand people and be patient then you'll get a better life and mind thank you.
 
Yukyung
 

No comments:

Post a Comment