Welcome to the Esol NPGHS Blog



Monday, November 21, 2016

My Story - Cha-Nel

My name is Cha-Nel and I'm from South Africa. I was born there and lived there my whole life, until I was 13 years old and my family and I migrated to New Zealand.

Before I even arrived here, I was so anxious, because I thought I could never speak English and that I'd never fit in. It therefore put a lot of pressure on me.

 Of course we all have our expectations of everything unfamiliar to us. When we arrived in New Zealand, it was the most beautiful greenest place, (I'm lucky to have come and lived here).
My dad got offered a job, which worked out perfectly, because my brother and I are young enough to learn a new language and the support here in New Zealand is very good. There are a lot of advantages living in New Zealand: lots and lots of support, you'd meet a lot of people from all over the world, good opportunities, the people here accept you for who you are, where in South Africa people care to what school you came from and the house you live in.

There are also a few disadvantages: you miss your friends and family, there are a few earthquakes now and then and also there's always that one good, food you can't get anywhere in New Zealand.
On my first day of school here in New Zealand, it was really hard and stressful. It was a hot day and I had to run all over the place to get where I had to and in the day when I finally had some alone time I cried the whole time which is normal. With English as your second language and you're in a place where almost the whole of New Zealand is English, it can put a lot of pressure on you.

If you're going to a new country it can be all the bad feelings, but don't let it get to you. Take things one at a time and then you won't feel pressured as I did.

And always ask for help!  



No comments:

Post a Comment