Welcome to the Esol NPGHS Blog



Monday, November 21, 2016

My Migration Story

My name is Aljeah and I am 13 years old and I'm from a country where it has the most beautiful beaches in the world, the Philippines. Philippines is a great country for me because everyone is hospitable to each other. When I was 10, I migrated to New Zealand because my Dad's job was moved to New Zealand so he decided to make us live in New Zealand. So far, I like it because this country has given me lots of opportunities and a lot of new friends that I've made throughout the years. I've been in New Zealand for 4 years now, and those 4 years has changed a lot of things. I still miss my home country because I still have all of my family in there and all the food that we use to eat, but hopefully, a time has come where I will have a vacation to  my country.

When I first came to New Zealand, I created new friends, I had better education  and my Mum and Dad had better jobs than before. My education in the Philippines was ok but it was just too expensive for us to pay, my Mum back then didn't had any job, but she was given an opportunity here in New Zealand. I had great experiences in New Zealand, I've experienced playing sports on interschool from intermediate, I've played badminton and basketball. I am still trying to get into a team in NPGHS but I'm still hoping for the best. We have been to a lot of green spaces and parks, we have been relaxed ever since we came here but everyone was stressed out about student loans, electric bills, etc. I have missed a lot of things about the Philippines, I miss my friends, family, food, and some stores that New Zealand doesn't have. I felt scared when I first came here because I didn't know how to speak English that well and most of my classmates were Kiwis, none of them were a Filipino, but after that I became comfortable with the people around me. My advice for people that are migrating to a new country is to make use of opportunities, and make goals that you can work hard towards, most of all enjoy making new friends and have fun on your new country, just don't forget your original language because it will be pretty hard forgetting it.
 
 
-Aljeah
 

No comments:

Post a Comment